- Auto-Match Scholarships – Once the generic CSUSA application is filled out, the system will automatically match you, the student, to any scholarships where you meet the award criteria University-wide. This process is repeated when you fill out the College of Liberal Arts Scholarship Application.
- Apply-To Scholarships – Along with filling out the generic CSUSA application, some scholarships require further materials. Whether those are essay questions, content portfolios, or any other types of content specific to the individual scholarship. These scholarships are not automatically matched by the auto-match feature in AcademicWorks and are found by using the “Filter” option on the Opportunities Page.
Applying for Need-based Scholarships
To be considered for need-based scholarships through the CSUSA, students must submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Although CSU’s recommended deadline for the FAFSA is Mar. 1, we recommend it is submitted well before Feb. 15. Keep in mind, it takes a few business days before CSU receives the FAFSA after it is submitted.
Students should anticipate two follow-up emails. The first email is sent immediately from FAFSA, confirming the FAFSA has been submitted. The second comes a few days later from CSU, confirming that the university has received the FAFSA. If the second email does not arrive a week after submitting the FAFSA, reach out to the Office of Financial Aid.
In previous years, the FAFSA would already be available. The federal government is working on a simplified version of the 2024-2025 FAFSA and anticipates its release by the end of 2023. This does not change our recommended deadline of Feb. 15.
The 2024-2025 FAFSA is requesting tax information from two years prior, 2022. Please use accurate information when initially completing the FAFSA, using tax returns and W2’s to complete the application. Updating tax information on the FAFSA later may cause you to be selected for financial aid verification where you will have to submit financial documentation before you can be awarded financial aid.
Again, please submit your 2024-2025 FAFSA before Feb. 15 if you would like to be considered for need-based CSUSA scholarships.
AcademicWorks is a cloud-based portal through which students complete the CSUSA. You may receive e-mails from AcademicWorks if you are selected for a scholarship or need to provide additional information for a scholarship opportunity. Make sure your email address in RAMweb is correct and that you monitor it often, and add “firstname.lastname@example.org” to spam filters to ensure proper delivery to your inbox.
In order to qualify for and receive a scholarship from the College of Liberal Arts, the following factors apply:
- You must be accepted for admission or currently enrolled with a major or minor in the College of Liberal Arts. Incoming students (freshmen and transfers) must have applied for admission and set up an eID to access RAMweb.
- Most scholarships have specific criteria or preferences that have been established by the donor. These additional criteria may specify major, class, financial need, academic achievement, residency, letters of recommendation, U.S. citizenship or permanent residency status, or other factors.
- To be awarded a CLA scholarship and receive funding, the recipient must meet all criteria outlined in the scholarship at the time of application and throughout the length of the scholarship. For instance, if a scholarship requires full-time enrollment, then dropping below the required number of credits will result in forfeiture of the scholarship even after it has been awarded.
How Scholarships Are Paid
Your scholarship is for the full academic year, split evenly between the fall and spring semesters. If you are graduating or the scholarship has a particular stipulation, you may receive the full scholarship amount in one semester. The scholarship will be paid to your student account within the first few weeks of the semester. If more than a month has passed since the semester has started and you still have not received your scholarship, or if you are graduating and want to clarify your scholarship award period, please reach out to CLA_Scholarships@colostate.edu.