The purpose of the fund is to provide a legacy in honor of Willard O. Eddy and his lifelong dedication to higher education and his innovative and outstanding contributions to the students and Colorado State University.
- Full-time student enrolled in the University Honors program
- Demonstrate outstanding academic achievement
- Special consideration given to students majoring in philosophy
- Letter of recommendation by a professor who has been directly involved in your education (submitted through AcademicWorks)
More than any single individual, Eddy is credited with promoting liberal arts education at Colorado State University. During his 56 year tenure, he served as chair of two departments, created the University Honors Program and developed the university’s first courses in philosophy, ethics, logic and numerous other courses that are now standard liberal arts offerings. In 1970, Eddy was appointed to Colorado State University’s Centennial Professors, and in 1978 the Liberal Arts building on the campus was named the Willard O. Eddy Building.
Willard Eddy earned a bachelor’s degree in English at DePauw University and went on to earn a master’s in comparative literature at DePauw in 1932. He received a university scholarship to attend Yale University Graduate School from 1935-36, where he studied political philosophy and the sociology of revolutions and dictatorships. He earned a second master’s degree in philosophy from the University of Nebraska and completed his doctoral work in philosophy at the University of Chicago. As a graduate teaching assistant, Professor Eddy taught at DePauw University and the University of Nebraska. He also spent three years as a professor of English language and literature at the Imperial University of Hokkaido in Sapporo, Japan. Eddy joined Colorado State University in 1937, where he worked for decades to build a strong program in liberal arts. From 1942-45, he took military leave to serve with the Military Intelligence Training Division. He officially retired from Colorado State in 1974, however, he continued to teach until his death in December, 1993.