Professor of French
- Professor of French
- French and Applied Linguistics/Teaching Methodologies
- Languages, Literatures and Culture
- Ph.D. University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Professor of French
Advisor - Teacher Licensure in Foreign Languages
License at Université Jules Verne, Amiens , France ; M.A. at Purdue University Ph.D. at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Frédérique Grim is a native from Dunkerque, France. She teaches French language and linguistic courses, as well as second language pedagogy courses. She is also involved with the training of pre-service (with the School of Education) and in-service teachers, and serves as the advisor for the teacher licensure program in the department. In 2009, she was the recipient of the Colorado Congress of Foreign Language Teachers Excellence in Teaching award and Honors' Advisor Award.
Frédérique's research interests are on foreign language education, through classroom and experiential research, on the integration of content and language forms (content-enriched instruction), service-learning and pronunciation. She has also been interested in the role of teachers in the classroom, particularly in regard to the use of the first and second language in the classroom. Other interests are on anglicisms, bilingual education and code-switching. With colleagues and friends (Miller & Violin-Wigent, 2013), she has published Sons et Sens: La prononciation du fran̤ais en contexte (2013), a French Phonetics textbook that integrates culture throughout. She has also contributed to C'est Parti! French Level One textbook. Some of her articles are listed below. Through her initiatives and the help of her colleagues, students of French and other languages have had the opportunity to teach in local elementary schools, get involved in high schools, and participate in charity initiatives.
Frédérique is very happily married to Joe, and together, with Eloïse their jolie fille and Poudre the Pup, they love exploring the beautiful Rocky Mountains: http://www.joeandfrede.com/. She also enjoys being a maman, running, doing some craft and baking.
Articles and book chapters:
- (2020) A story to tell… The three modes of communication through a community-engagement program. Coastal Review: An online peer-reviewed journal, Volume 11, issue 1 (Fall 2019-Spring 2020).
- (2020). La transformation de cours fondamentaux de français en cours à objectifs plus spécifiques. Proceedings for Second symposium on French for Specific Purposes, Le français de spécialité - actuel, applicatif, omniprésent ; French for Specific Purposes - Applicable, Omnipresent, Up To Date. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KhvdXvDVzeWrt_7tWkXRG59NjL9Yz8Hh/view
- Tinnefeld, T. & Grim, F. (2018). The Cognitive Contrastive Approach As a Functional Method to Enhance Students’ Language Proficiency? - A Case Study. Journal of Linguistics and Language Teaching, 9, 1, 35-66.
- (2018) C’est cool, ici ! C’est vraiment l’fun ! Le rôle des anglicismes en français de France et en français québécois. Actes de congrès (referred preceedings). FIPF.
- (2018). Week-end ou fin de semaine ? Distinguer le français de France et du Québec. The French Review Proceedings.
- (2017). Experiential learning for L2 students: Steps for a service-learning program in a local community. Book chapter In Creating experiential learning opportunities for language learners: Acting locally while thinking globally. Melanie Bloom & Carolyn Gascoigne, Editors. Multilingual Matters.
- (2017). Encourager des étudiants de français langues étrangères à un apprentissage autonome : Un projet de service communautaire. For Travaux de didactique en français langue étrangère. http://revue-tdfle.fr/les-numeros/numero-69
- (2016). Best practices for foreign language teacher preparation. Proceedings to Third Saarbrücken Conference on Language Teaching. https://sites.google.com/site/linguistikunddidaktik/
- Grim, F. & Sturm, J. (2016). Where does pronunciation stand in the 21st century foreign language classroom? Views of educators and learners. Proceedings of the 6th Pronunciation in Second Language Learning and Teaching Conference.
- Miller, J., & Grim, F. (2015). Spoken French in a pronunciation course: Impressions and applications. In J. Levis, R. Mohamed, M. Qian & Z. Zhou (Eds). Proceedings of the 6th Pronunciation in Second Language Learning and Teaching Conference (ISSN 2380-9566), Santa Barbara, CA (pp. 213-224). Ames, IA: Iowa State University.
- (2014). Foreign Language Teaching Assistants and their classroom practices. Journal of Linguistics and Language Teaching, 5, 2. https://sites.google.com/site/linguisticsandlanguageteaching/home-1/volume-5-2014-issue-2/volume-5-2014-issue-2---article-grim.
- (2014). Meeting in-service teachers in a teacher preparation course. Teacher Development SIG Newsletter, April issue.
- Correa, M. & Grim, F. (2014). Audio recordings as a self-awareness tool for improving L2 pronunciation: sample activities. Currents in Teaching and Learning, 6, 2.
- (2014). Teaching culture through FLEX programs. The Teaching and Learning of Cultures SIG Newsletter, 1, 1, 4-6.
- (2014). Le Maghreb et le Maroc dans nos classes (for the Dossiers pédagogiques section). The French Review, 88, 1.
- (2013). Using culture beyond its borders: The use of content-enriched instruction and the effects of input enhancement on learning in high school French classes. Innovation in Language Learning and Teaching. DOI:10.1080/17501229.2013.835313
- (2012). Les standards et le français : une intégration logique en 7 étapes. The French Review.
- (2011). J’apprends et j’enseigne le français: Etudiants de français dans leur communauté. The French Review.
- (2011). Socio-cultural sensitivities and service-learning. Modern Journal of Language Teaching Methods, 1, 1, pp. 15-19.
- (2011). Enseigner le Québec: Un format non-traditionnel. The French Review, 84, 6, 1132-1140.
- (2011). Does being an L2 native-speaking teacher influence L2 use? International Journal of Foreign Language Teaching, 6, 1, 2-4.
- (2010). Giving authentic opportunities to second language learners: A look at a French service-learning project. Foreign Language Annals, 43, 4, 605-623.
- (2010). The L1 in the L2 Classroom at the Secondary and College Levels: A comparison of Functions and Use by Teachers. Electronic Journal of Foreign Language Teaching, 7, 2, 193-209.
- (2008). The topics and roles of the situational code-switching of an English-French bilingual. Journal of French Language Studies, 18, 189-208.
- (2008). Response to “The Focus on Form Debate: Another Explanation for Grim’s Results”. Foreign Language Annals, 41, 587-588.In response to a letter by Dr. Stephen Krashen on my 2008 article. (Published “Letter to Editor”)
- (2008). The Integration of Focus-on-form Instruction within Culture-Enriched Lessons. Foreign Language Annals, 41, 2, 321-346.