Internship coordinator, instructor
Office Hours:MW 8-8:30 a.m. and 3-4 p.m.
- Internship coordinator, instructor
- Story telling, editing
- Journalism & Media Communication
- M.A., English, University of Northern Colorado
Education: M.A., English, University of Northern Colorado; B.A., Journalism, University of Northern Colorado.
Professional experience: Daily newspaper reporter, features writer, section editor, city editor, company magazine editor.
Specialty areas: Reporting and editing, layout and design.
JTC 210 – Media Writing
This course introduces students to a broad sense of news, its importance within a free democratic society and the practical application of writing in several different media environments. Students will learn reporting and interviewing skills, as well as how to write for outlets in traditional print, online, broadcast, social media, advertising, marketing and public relations. Finally, students will receive an introduction to foundational concepts that surround effective public communication, such as ethics and legal ramifications.
JTC 310 – Copy Editing
1. Demonstrate proficiency in editing copy: yours and others.
2. Review and practice AP style, vocabulary, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
3. Apply ethical and legal editing skills to news judgment decisions.
4. Discuss design as it relates to readership.
5. Write headlines, photo captions and social media teasers.